Back to Boone – 5 Thoughts We Have When Traveling Back to the High Country
Well, there it is – Christmas has come and gone and now all Appalachian State collegians are preparing to head back up the mountain. Last year at this time we all headed back in toboggans and layers, but it’s looking like this year will be quite different. It’s January and all we have seen in Boone is a tiny SNOW FLURRY? How weak! Where’s the snow? Where’s the dangerously negative wind chills? Where’s the class cancellations for heavens sake! Due to this horrendous weather, here’s a few things that may cross an Appalachian State student’s mind as they make their way back to the high country.
- Why do I have my windows down right now? It’s literally January. I am not giving into this. I’m turning the heat on in my car even if it means I have to shed off a few pounds. Oh, a few pounds… now that I think about it I did eat 2 pieces of pumpkin pie last night. Heat it is.
- I sure am glad Mom bought me a new layered North Face jacket that I’ll never get the chance to wear. Thanks Boone.
- Winter months are not only for layering clothes, but layering pounds as well. If it’s hot enough to wear shorts how am I going to cover my pale, oversized skin? El Nino why are you treating us like this? Life is so unfair sometimes.
- I wonder what me and my friends can do to improvise sledding. Water slide? Mud slide? I need to remember to talk to them when I get back.
- Wow, I told every freshman I talked to that the winter here was SO cold and miserable. Jokes on me and my oversized skin. Thanks again, Boone.
While it may be abnormally warm now, Ray’s Weather predictions give us hope that there is still a harsh winter to come. May the odds of feet of snow and class cancellations be forever in our favor!